Addiction Recovery Resources
SMART RECOVERY – SMART Recovery’s 4-Point Program® helps people recover from all types of addictive behaviors, including alcoholism, drug abuse, substance abuse, drug addiction, alcohol abuse, gambling addiction, cocaine addiction, and addiction to other substances and activities.
IN THE ROOMS – InTheRooms.com is an online social network for the global recovery community. InTheRooms is for people already in recovery, seeking immediate help from any addiction, and their family, friends, and allies. You will have unlimited access to over 117 live online Recovery meetings weekly.
WOMEN FOR SOBRIETY – A non-profit organization dedicated to helping women discover an abstinent New Life. It is the first self-help recovery program based on the unique emotional needs of women. WFS was founded in July 1975 and has been helping women in recovery from alcohol and drug addictions for over 40 years.
REFUGE RECOVERY – Mindfulness-based addiction recovery community that practices and utilizes Buddhist philosophy as the foundation of the recovery process. Drawing inspiration from the core teachings of the Four Noble Truths, the emphasis is placed on both knowledge and empathy as a means for overcoming addiction and its causes. Those struggling with any form of addiction greatly benefit when they are able to understand the suffering that addiction has created while developing compassion for the pain they have experienced. We hope to serve you, and meet you on the path.
LIFE RING – LifeRing Secular Recovery is an organization of people who share practical experiences and sobriety support. There are as many ways to live free of drugs and alcohol as there are stories of successful sober people. Many LifeRing members attend other kinds of meetings or recovery programs, and we honor those decisions.
Voice Dialogue Resources
- EMBRACING OUR SELVES –by Hal and Sidra Stone – The Voice Dialogue Manual
- SELVES IN A BOX –a boxed set of often-seen Parts, with instructions how to work with them, from my friend Tamar Stone (Hal Stone’s daughter).
- VOICE DIALOGUE INTERNATIONAL –Hal and Sidra’s official site
- Google “Voice Dialogue” and find a number of great resources.
- MESSAGES FROM THE BODY – THEIR PSYCHOLOGICAL MEANINGS, by Michael J. Lincoln, Ph.D. An important book for BodyWisdom – about the interaction of physical, emotional, mental, and symbolic processes in relationship to physical diseases, disorders, and disruptions, including the meanings of body structures and characteristics.
Neuroscience and Brain/Mind Resources
- Scientists are still trying to figure out “HOW THE BRAIN CREATES CONSCIOUSNESS.” I believe Consciousness creates the brain and uses it as a transmission medium (Pan-psychism). A never-ending debate, probably not provable on either side.
- THE NEUROSCIENCE OF CONSCIOUSNESS – and the hard problem (brain vs. consciousness). Baroness Susan Greenfield, scientist specializing in the physiology of the brain, discusses how the brain generates consciousness and novel approaches to neurodegenerative diseases.
- Sean Tiffee examines the relationship between PERCEPTION AND REALITY.
- Social Psychologist JONATHAN HAIDT DISCUSSES THE SELF-RIGHTEOUS MIND, and the Liberal/Conservative divide, from the perspective of Moral Psychology.
- Sir Ken Robinson discusses THE PROBLEMS OF EDUCATION, AND HOW SCHOOLS KILL CREATIVITY. One of the top-rated TED talks of all time.
- DR. GABOR MATE’ sees psychological disorders, addiction, and society related directly to stress. He discusses childhood development, parenting, mind-body health, ADHD, addictions, and more.
- Rory Sutherland on TED speaking of HAPPINESS AND PERSPECTIVE.
Fun and Entertainment
- Mark Manson’s essay on why the information age has made things worse: EVERYTHING IS FUCKED AND I’M PRETTY SURE IT’S THE INTERNET’S FAULT.
- WE ARE DEAD STARS LOOKING AT STARS – a talk from a NASA astronomer.
- ZOOM ALL THE WAY IN – to get some much-needed perspective.
- THE MIND CANNOT POSSIBLY STUDY ITSELF – the End of Psychology (humor).
- Comedian Tim Minchin offers ADVICE TO UNIVERSITY GRADUATES, including about beliefs and opinions. Then watch his brilliant “Thank You, God” performance at Albert Hall.